The Piazza dei Miracoli or Piazza of Miracles is a walled 8.87-hectare area located in Pisa, Tuscany, Italy, recognized as an important center of European medieval art and one of the finest architectural complexes in the world.
The square is dominated by four great religious edifices: the Pisa Cathedral, the Pisa Baptistry, the Leaning Tower ( the Bell Tower), and the Camposanto Monumentale (Monumental Cemetery) founded in 1277 by Giovanni di Simone.
The name “Piazza dei Miracoli” was coined by the Italian writer and poet Gabriele d’Annunzio who, in his novel “Forse che sì forse che no” (1910), described the square as the “prato dei Miracoli,” or “meadow of miracles”.
In 1987, the whole square was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. ….. ….. …
Photo © Daniela Serra – All Rights Reserved